Monday, 5 September 2011

Irony, Alanis.

I'm going to say something now that will seem pretty ironic on a blogg (Take note Alanis Morissette) but sometimes, I really hate communicating on line.
Just recently I became single again. I broke up with a really lovely girl who had been treating me very well and with which I had a perfectly nice relationship. So why end it you may ask? Well....it was nice. Now I know some people spend their whole lives hoping for a nice relationship and who am I to hope for more? Well I have to hope. I haven't got to 36 to give up on true love now and just settle.
Get to the point mister
Ok. Well, over the last few months I began to develop feelings for a girl I've known for a long time. It was one of those situ's where it creeps up on you without you really noticing. But. I was in a relationship, and I needed to let that go through due process (romantic I know) I needed to see where it was going, if anywhere. Ultimately, the answer was nowhere, and that's why I broke it off. As soon as I broke it off my feelings for this other girl came flooding through. Evidently I had been surpressing a lot whilst in the relationship out of respect for my girlfriend. For a month before I had been convincing myself my feelings for the other woman (lets call her walker-girl) was just a silly crush. We are very different people and I tried to convince myself it couldn't work.
Then of course, I broke up with the girl I was seeing.
After a weeks of tieing myself in knots thinking and rethinking and over-thinking walker-girl I realised I was getting way in front of myself. All I needed to know was that I was attracted to her. I couldn't know whether we'd get on in a capactity that was more than just friends unless we spent some time with just the two of us.
I intended to wait a respectful few weeks before I made any sort of move on her but alcohol and facebook came in to play. Groan.
So, idiot that I am, I told her about my feelings via the wonderful medium that is facebook chat after a few beers. Facebook chat, with all it's fascinating quirks such as pretending you're writing for an hour and a half or telling everyone you're off line when you're not, is not the best or easiest way to communicate really.
So the discussion turned into a facebook message-fest rather than a chat.
All so easily misconstrued. So easy for what should be a light conversation to turn in to something uncomfortably intense. So difficult to have a heart-to-heart.
The conversation turned badly for me. Although I was 99% certain walker-girl had feelings for me she was using every excuse under the sun to not go on a simple date. And if I argued with her about it I would just seem intense and creepy. So when she asked if we could stay friends or was it too difficult, I told her it was too difficult.
But then...we both turned up to the sunday walk in the group we are members of. I was distant. We needed to have a chat but we couldn't do it with 20 other walkers around us. We exchanged glances. Even walked close to each other. We joined in a threeway conversation without really talking to each other.
Ridiculous.
So after the walk I called after her. Handed her the book I had promised to lend to her the week before. She looked sad. We had not had our usual daft jokey time on the walk where I would flirt and she would look pleased that I was paying her attention. She had told me how much I made her laugh and today, I hadn't done that at all with her.
So I asked again. In person. To her face. The way it's meant to be. "Meet me for a drink"
"Yes" she said. She smiled at me. Leaned towards me. She looked like she really wanted some physical contact. I should touch her arm. Stroke her face, maybe. Perhaps even kiss her. Instead we just exchanged a long deep look in to each others eyes.
I told her not to look so scared. She said she was scared, that she hadn't dated in a long time. I reminded her that I had asked her to meet me for a drink, not to bear my children.
I know she will continue to over-think this, but hopefully we will get to meet, where we can talk things out and get to know each other better, rather than messing things up with silly on-line conversations.
As much as I love the t'interweb, it really is not a great place to conduct your romantic life. Much better to just hunt your latest squeeze down on facebook, then organise to leave cyber space together and enter the real world.

No comments: